It’s the most wonderful time of the year- Time for parties, sugar cookies and gallons of eggnog! While there’s nothing wrong in going about with your routine like every other day, there are plenty of reasons why you should consider incorporating some holiday ‘traditions’ to truly soak in the best of the season.
Here are some of the most festive things you can do for this holiday to make it one that you’ll truly cherish 🙂
- Decorate your house for Christmas. Whether its putting up the tree with your loved ones or changing up your cushion covers to more festive ones, there’s no better way to bring some holiday cheer into the house.2. Create a holiday routine for the time of day when you’re most relaxed. Buy yourself a festive mug and kick back with a cup of hot chocolate and some festive tunes. The first thing I do every morning during December, is light a scented candle and make myself a cup of hot chocolate while listening to my favourite Christmas tracks.This is something I really enjoy and look forward to doing during the holidays and it always puts me in a better mood.
3. Watching your favourite holiday classics are another way to warm up to the holiday season. Movies like Home Alone and A Christmas Carol which I enjoyed as a kid are still some of my go-to ones during the holidays. Some TV channels are even airing 25 different Christmas movies for each day of the week in December, so there really isn’t a reason for you to not tune in! 🙂
4. Bring back the tradition of hand – written cards this year and send out personalized Holiday cards to your loved ones. If you have the time you could even craft some by yourself, nothing makes for a more special gesture. I’m counting on sending some out myself this year! 😀
5. Bake, bake, bake! Whether it’s a full blown Christmas cake or sugar cookies with smudgy frosting, this is one time of the year when a messy kitchen really is a happy kitchen. If you have kids or even if you live with friends, this could be a special tradition you share with each other. Also, we all know that nobody counts calories once December is here! 😉
6. If you love the outdoors, head out to a Christmas market in your city. There are sure to be plenty of options to choose from depending on the kind of activities you enjoy. The blinding Christmas lights, festive wares and the sound of Christmas carols wafting through the air are sure to turn any Scrooge in to a believer! 😀
7. If crowded markets are not your thing, head out for a long walk through the city streets. If you live in a neighborhood like mine, you’re sure to have a festive visual treat with Christmas lights all around and every store window dressed up- one more festive than the other.
8. If you have some free time during the holidays, volunteering for a cause is a great way to absorb the spirit of the season. Whether it’s working with a local soup kitchen or helping the Salvation Army raise funds for their charities, you would be making Christmas a whole lot merrier for more than just yourself 🙂
9. If you are a student, or you go to work (or even if you just stay at home and have a handful of friends like I do!) playing Secret Santa can be quite exciting! It’s a great way to get to know the people around you better and also spread some festive cheer while you’re at it 🙂
10. Host a dinner party or have a get-together with the people you love. Holidays are the best reason to catch up with friends and family who you otherwise barely find the time for owing to your busy schedule. Take time out to make a meal and to sit down and enjoy it with your loved ones. There are few things better than spending time with those that matter and this year be sure to add this to your To-Do list for the holidays 🙂
(All images in this post are sourced from Pinterest)